Shillong, Jul 28: After two opening defeats, Sohryngkham claimed their first point of the First Division 2018 in a 1-1 draw with Mawlai here today.

In the first match of the third round, Mawlai got first blood with a goal by substitute Robert Khongriah in the 60th minute, but this was cancelled out 15 minutes later by Sohryngkham’s Bankyrshan Nongrum.

The first half was largely a tale of missed opportunities.

In the 20th minute Mawlai’s Banskhemlang Mawlong’s easy header missed the mark and half a dozen minutes later Sohryngkham goalie Damutskhem Lyngdoh made a good one-fisted diving save.

Sohryngkham then got their best chance of the half in the 37th minute when they had two players forward to one Mawlai defender back and Baniarphang Pyngrope received a pass directed at him. He took one step forward and shot the ball tamely towards Mawlai’s keeper. He was under no pressure to shoot so quickly and he could have taken his time for a better attempt.

In the 55th minute Damonlang Pathaw scuffed a header for Mawlai off a cross and by then it looked like the two teams would keep missing all evening.

Mawlai then found the breakthrough with Aldrin Ramsiej stealing into the box from the right flank. His cross was then met by an easy tap-in from Khongriah.

The lead didn’t last long, however, as Sohryngkham’s Nonrum then muscled his way past three defenders and into the box. There was an appeal for handball, but this wasn’t entertained by the referee and Nongrum then neatly lobbed the oncoming Mawlai goalie Pynshai Kharshiing.

Neither side were satisfied with a point and they continued looking for the winner. Good moves were created by both but no goal was forthcoming. Mawlai arguably came closest in the dying minutes when a header struck the woodwork. The rebound fell into place, but Sohryngkham’s defenders quickly smothered any chance to score off it.

On Monday Rising FC will be up against Nongrim Hills at 4PM.

(TSR photo. Mawlai are in yellow, Sohryngkham in red and their goalkeeper in black)

Facebook Comments