Shillong, Dec 19: The Meghalaya Football Association (MFA) is waiting on the state government’s response to its proposal for a second edition of the Meghalaya State League (MSL).
The MSL was launched last year by the previous Congress-led government. It brought 19 clubs from across the state together in one league. Niaw Wasa (pictured), of Jaintia Hills, were the champions of the inaugural tournament.
“The proposal has been submitted and we are waiting for the green signal from the government,” MFA Treasurer Wanshan Kharkrang, who was also the tournament director for the first MSL, said on the sidelines of a press conference today held to brief the press about the final day of the Meghalaya Baby League.
MSL season one had its opening match on 16th December last year, but, as yet, there is no sign of when the next edition will begin.
Securing government funding is said to be a problem, but the MFA is open to exploring other avenues if this proves to be the case.
“We want to hear from the government first. Then details about funding can be worked out. If there’s no government money then we will explore other options,” Kharkrang said.
Niaw Wasa took home Rs 5 lakh as champions, with Rs 3 lakh going to runners-up Tynrongmawsaw, which are substantial amounts in Meghalaya football.
“We are still pushing for the tournament because we want it to happen. We’re doing everything we can,” MFA CEO Arki Nongrum said. “We can’t give you any confirmation but we are in touch with the district associations about the MSL.”
Kharkrang also promised further details about what’s in store for football in Meghalaya early in the New Year as the 2019 calendar is being finalised by the MFA right now.