Shillong, Aug 18: An impressive display of football from reigning champions Langsning saw them beat Shillong Lajong 3-1 at the JN Stadium here today in the Shillong Premier League.

Langsning pumped in two first half goals via U-18 Figo Syndai and Fullmoon Mukhim before three-time champions Lajong clawed one back in the 49th through Phrangki Buam. However, Langsning ran away with the game when Ronaldkydon Lyngdoh Nonglait scored in the 82nd minute.

With three wins in three, Langsning are at the top of the table, tied on nine points with Rangdajied United, but with a better goal difference (+8 to +4). Meanwhile, this was SLFC’s second consecutive defeat and they are down in fifth place.

The two standout players today were Buam and Langsning goalkeeper Frolicson Dkhar, who made several good saves to deny Lajong today.

Dkhar made a sharp collection to stop a nice header in the 11th minute and in the 19th Langsning drew first blood when Milancy Khongstia crossed the ball from the right. Syndai chested it down but it looked like the touch was a little heavy, but the No. 12 kept the ball in and fired it into the net from a very tight angle.

Dkhar would go on to deny Buam in the 27th minute and five minutes later Langsning doubled their lead when after a primary attack was deflected, Mukhim appeared to almost casually take a shot, but it was on target and left Lajong custodian Neithovilie Chalieu rooted to the spot.

At half time Langsning looked in imperious form and one commentator sitting to the side of TSR said that “if they continue like this they’ll run away with the title.”

However, the champions were a little less intense at the start of the second 45 minutes and this cost them, as Lajong were keen to get back into the contest.

In the 49th minute Langsning put off an SLFC attack but Dkhar’s clearance left him sitting on the pitch and the ball only went as far as Buam, who smashed it into the net.

With more than 40 minutes left on the clock Lajong surely would have had their hopes up of making a comeback, but Langsning pulled up their socks and responded much better.

In the 82nd minute Rimitre Thma’s pass to Kynsaibor Lhuid was blocked by a Kenstar Kharshong, but Lyngdoh Nonglait took a long-range shot that was perfect in all respects to restore Langsning’s two-goal margin and his team hung on to the end for another sweet victory.

On Monday Meghalaya Police will take on Malki at 3:45PM.

(TSR photo. Langsning are in red, Lajong in white)

Facebook Comments